Needed: An Annual Tech Conference Calendar

December 12, 2011 · 7 comments in tech business

It’s December and like a great many professionals in the tech industry, I’m trying to determine what events to plan and budget what I do for next year. There are a great many people looking at the same time/place/budget issues, ranging from home office folk like me, to C-elevel global enterprise executives.

It surprises me how incredibly difficult it is to gather what I need. I asked about this on my social networks, and three sites were frequently recommended: Plancast, Upcoming.com and Gary’s Guide. Each of these sites is useful if you want to find a meetup, tweetup or greetup in a specific major city, in the next 30 days or so.

But they are useless in letting you look at the country or the world over the next year and they are even worse at letting you slice by industry segment, rather than geographic megalopolis.

What I did earlier today is exactly what I did last December. I went to various sites to see what dates have been set for Techcrunch Launch SF & NYC, SxSW, Launch, SxSW, MacWorld Expo, PopTech, TED, Gnomedex, Web 2.0, BlogWorld Expo and DEMO. There’s also an international element. I want to know when Les Web is taking place in Paris, when Nasscom Conclave will be held in India and what’s big and promising in China or Japan.

I won’t go to all of these. But knowing when and where they are being held is useful to me in many ways. To make my decision, I don’t want a week-by-week list, I want to see 2012 on a single screen [scrolldown permitted].

If you stop right there, you will make me happy. If you want to start there then continue tp the point where you could make revenue for your effort, I see quite a few cool ways to expand:

• Drill-down by segments for social web, technologists, B2B, etc. indepth
  • Offer links to all the sites where we can see details and register.
  • Provide space for citizen reviews.
  • Hire professionals to give reviews available just on your site.

It surprises me that this does not seem to exist. If I overlooked something please let me know. If you would like to start something like this in your spare time, I will be happy to help you figure out how to build and market it.

I’m convinced it is a mousetrap worth building.

Mukund Mohan December 15, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Did you check out http://lanyrd.com/

JD Lasica December 16, 2011 at 2:04 am

Yes. And none of the links work.

Simon Willison December 16, 2011 at 9:01 am

Hi JD,

I’m the co-founder of Lanyrd – could you tell me which links weren’t working for you? We had half an hour of server trouble this morning (after months with no trouble at all) so it’s possible you tried the site at exactly the wrong moment.

Thanks,

Simon Willison

Simon Willison December 13, 2011 at 4:54 am

Hi Shel,

We’ve been building pretty much exactly what you describe over at Lanyrd.com for the past year. We’re a crowdsourced directory of conferences and professional events, with listings from all over the world and across many different industries.

You can search the site, browse by topic or location or sign in with Twitter to see events the people you follow are speaking at or attending.

Here are a few of our topic pages which you might find relevant – you can also subscribe to those pages by iCal or RSS to stay updated when new events are added to them:

http://lanyrd.com/topics/social-media/ (36 upcoming events, including SxSW and Blogworld Expo)
http://lanyrd.com/topics/mobile/ (45 upcoming events, including droidcon, VentureBeat’s Mobile Summit, Mobile World Congress)
http://lanyrd.com/topics/startups/ (18 upcoming events, including LAUNCH and DEMO – TechCrunch haven’t announced dates for their 2012 events yet)
http://lanyrd.com/topics/ideas/ – TED and PopTech (which are a bit hard to categorise)

The site works like a wiki, so you can sign in and add any events we are missing. You can also use us to see who else plans to attend an event, and to build up a speaker portfolio of the talks you have given.

Please let me know if this solves your problem – and if there’s anything we can do to make it more effective.

Thanks,

Simon Willison
Co-Founder, Lanyrd

shelisrael December 12, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I feel like slapping myself on the forehead. The calendar I want was hiding in plain sight. My friend JD’s calendar is precisely what I’m talking about. I can’t wait until you launch 2012. I’ll stop working on the one I’ve been compiling.

JD Lasica December 12, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Hi Shel,

We’ve been keeping an annual calendar of tech (and social media and marketing) conferences each year at Socialmedia.biz:

The one for 2012 will be out on Jan. 2 and all of the tech conferences you listed will be there.

Why don’t more folks do this? Because it’s a LOT of work to create, update and maintain.

Buzz Bruggeman December 12, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Great idea. I find myself planning on way too short a horizon. The only one who benefits from not knowing what’s on the horizon are the airlines.

Too bad there isn’t a way to almost crowd source it in some simple way.